Friday, May 1, 2009

Music Therapy

You come home from a hard day at work, a stressful day at school, or even a bad loss on a sports team. Not the most remarkable feelings in the world, but probably the most frequent of any. Different people deal with these situations differently. If you aren't a fan of music (which i believe would be highly unusually considering what era we live in) than this doesn't apply to you.
If you love music than you know the power it may possess if used properly. I've asked some people what they thought and for these people music either heals the soul, sparks creativity, or relaxes the mind. With answers like these I would assume they are in some psychological stage while listening to music. So I propose this cognitive approach for my psychology majors: Music Therapy. Simple, yet it has drastic results. I personally use music to motivate me in anything I'm about to do. If it's sports I play a little bit of rock to pump me up and I always finish off with Sweet Child O' Mine by Appetite for Destruction. If I want to relax and just sooth my mind I play bachata which is mainly Aventura songs and some Charlie Za. For studying I play instrumentals to slow r&b songs. I think songs that have lyrics become too distracting while studying because one second trying to remember the definition of a term and the next second I'm singing the damn song playing. It doesn't exactly help the situation, especially in my case since I'm easily distracted and I can't stay focused for a long period of time =). When i day dream I like listening to hip hop music. I do this because I envision how people would dance to this song and that usually gives me some good ideas.
Music Therapy may be better than popping pills. The next time you have one of those days put in a cd, turn on the ipod, or even turn on the music channel and try and give music a chance. I'd first suggest to write down when you use music and what music you listen to for each situation. This can help out so you dont have to press shuffle. Give it a try and let me know what happens.
On a side note, if you are a writter/blogger music is the primary motivation for any piece of work. 99% of songs are words, 1% instrumental. If you love writing than you love music so don't shut it down. Music is dying in the world! Revive it.

J.Cazares
CstarExpress

No comments:

Post a Comment